Monday, May 17, 2004

I went to an International Ethnic festival today. The city closed off 8th Avenue in Manhattan for over a mile and it was filled with interesting booths offering foods, crafts and books. There were bands along the way playing the music of the sponsoring ethnic group as well as 1940's big band tunes and jazz. I had to be in midtown Manhattan today anyway so I left the house early and got off the subway at Columbus Circle/59th Street. I walked over to 8th Ave and then strolled down the avenue enjoying the gloriously warm and sunny spring day. I think the nicest part of the festival was towards the very end of the route. There was a band playing very lively music; I'm no expert on these things but it seemed to be the sort of tunes popular in the 30s and 40s for dancing. Couples filled the street dancing, some with lively enthusiasm and some with an obvious sense of nostalgia. The rest of us stood around watching and admiring and enjoying.

No comments: