Monday, May 17, 2004

I first became interested in medieval China after reading a book about a Confucian Judge called Judge Dee. He is the subject of a series of mystery books based on the casebooks of a real life administrator and jurist from 8th century China. The original Chinese book Dee Goong An ( Casebook of Dee) is set in 15th century China, that era being much more familiar to the unknown anicent author than the actual era 7 centries earlier. I then began to read the series of modern books recounting further adventures of Judge Dee written in English by Robert Van Gulik. This lead to me discovering the complex and fascinating culture of classic China extending my reading into not only Chinese literature but history, science, and technology as well. I have a great fondness for books written by the classical Chinese female writers; Chinese women being free to write and publish enjoyed a golden era covering several centuries.

No comments: