Monday, May 02, 2005

My First Solo Excursion in Basel

Not a very exciting or extensive excusion, I'm afraid but quite enough for the first time.

I really needed to get groceries. Asti drinks cream in her coffee. I'm a coffee with milk sort. Also I needed some bread or rolls and a modest assortment of fruit, veg, and meat so I could prepare normal meals rather then nibble on junk or eat out. Luckily, being a New Yorker, I had a large canvas tote bag one could stuff with groceries to carry home. No worries about the paper or plastic decision on the continent. They simply bypass it by not providing ANY bags at all. You bring your own. Period.

I have a transport pass so I planned to take the #14 tram down to the farmers market. Great idea. I go out, walk down the block to the tram line where trans stop going in both directions. Very convenient. Except, which way did I want to go? Hmmm. No idea. I was totally disoriented. No map, of course. (Note: get city map of tram routes!)

Giving up on taking a tram at random with the certainty of getting thoroughly lost in a city where I din't speak the language, I decided to walk to the local supermarket. That at least I remembered from a walk with Asti when I first arrived. So down 2 blocks to the supermarket.

Reasonable enough. Of course I only had a 100 swiss franc note and no change so no shopping cart for Barb. I grabbed a small plastic handbasket and perhaps that was just as well as it reminded me clearly to limit my purchases to what I could reasonably pack in my tote bag and carry home.

Prices are shockingly high for one accustomed to NYC supermarket prices. They are evn high for one accustomed to Waitrose supermarket prices in the UK. Try almost $8 a pound for chopped meat! Insane, eh? How about $2.40 a pound for the lest expensive apples? And $6.25 a pound for peppers. Ok, so we're not going to have stuffed peppers for supper this week, I'll make stuffed cabbage. (I have to go back for tinned tomatoes tomorrow, too heavy and bulky for today.)

I thought I was doing pretty well though. I even braved the meat counter and spoke to the butcher. I managed to make myself understood when I ordered some great looking bratwurst. Hands held apart the length of bratwurst I wanted. She lifted the long coil of sausage and eying my hands asked something in a burst of incomprehensible to me, German. I nodded and said, "alles", she nodded and twisted off exactly the length I wanted. Success! I managed to order 100 grams of Swiss farmer salami as well. It looked really lean and beautiful.

It was interesting wandering about and trying to figure out which were the equivalents of the products I'm used to, which new products looked interesting and appealing. From years of shopping at Waitrose in London, I'd gained the false assumption that supermarkets everywhere were basically the same since Waitrose is almost exactly like a better class NY/NJ supermarket. The one here wasn't. It was geniunely alien. Not bad, it was actually qiuite lovely. Just very alien.

The total for the small basket of groceries I bought was shocking. It was 57.75 swiss francs which is $48 US. I guestimate the same basket of groceries would cost me about $35 in the US. Ah well, I'll get used to it. At least it gives me a good guideline on what sort of salary I need to target here.

So, enough for now. It's noon and I'm ready for a roll and butter and a bit of that lovely farmer's salami.

1 comment:

Broklynite said...

Well, here's hoping that you were able to pick up a dictionary. They can be a huge help, and the very good ones will often include actually, genuinly useful phrases(I know, god forbid) for here and there. Of course, German is particularly mad. As Twain put it, they take verb into their mouth, swim beneath the sea of the sentence, only to resurface at the end and spit it out, and challenges are made about the distance that they can swim. Still, sounds fun and exciting, and there's nothing like that first time out alone, is there?