Sunday, September 03, 2006

84 Charing Cross Road


I'm watching the wonderful film, 84 Charing Cross Road at the moment. Wonderful, wonderful charming film staring Ann Bancroft, Anthony Hopkins, Judi Dench. I've seen this film several times and it's always a delight.

I was curious tho, since I've been coming to London for many years and now live there, about the location of the book shop that inspired the film. Alan and I were just on Charing Cross Road last night. So I looked it up on a map and oh my goodness, I know 84 Charing Cross Road. I know it very well, been going there for years. But sadly, it's no longer a book shop. As long as I have known it, it has been Au Bar One, a wine bar. How many afternoons have Alan and I lounged on the huge leather sofas there, sipping vino verde, chatting, and reading books from Blackwell's just a snip down from the street.

If you haven't seen this film - buy or rent a copy and watch it. You'll thank me.

No comments: