Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I need an Athens account! Not for myself, I just need to use someone's account briefly to get a couple of files. But it's now 10 days that I have been asking, even begging friends, aquaintenaces, hell, I've even pleaded to strangers! But no Athens account.

So what, you may ask, is an Anthens account. Simple, it's a sort of clearinghouse/gateway to a wide set of information and research databases in the UK. The entire thing from research to databases/archives to Athens.org are paid for with taxpayer money. And, Athens accounts are supplied free to UK Univeristy and Further Education students...but NO ONE ELSE.

BASTARDS - ATHENS ORG AND ALL ITS MINIONS SHOULD BURN IN HELL

I politely called Athens.org to arrange a short term account. I need the thing for less than 1 day, we're talking a couple hours work here. So I thought, ok, there must be short term accounts or perhaps a 1 time access scheme for people doing research outside the University system - like museums and libraries routinely do.

But NO! You are either a student or you are the dirt under their feet. The man I spoke with in Athens Support actually laughed at me.

Bastards!

There must be someone out there who has an Athens account and can help me. There must be!

Yes, I'm feeling very bitter about this. I do research for other people all the time, come up with the work/help/file/access they need, often desperately need. But the one time I need serious help, I'm banging my head against a wall. I'm really frustrated.

OK whoever you are reading this... Can you help me get access to an Athens account?

No comments: