Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Back in the old USA

A relatively decent flight. Saw two very amusing films: Saved, which is a excellent little send-up of the whole evangelical jesus-is-your-personal-saviour nonsense and the remake of The Stepford Wives. Stepford Wives didn't have the taught dark horror of the original. We've moved on and such topics are now simply more comedic fare. Be that as it may, the film wasn't particularly funny, at least not in the intended bits. Lots of unintended humour for me, I assume so from the fact I was laughing when others weren't. However, Bette Midler was great, she was so perfect and so funny. She made the film for me. I seriously think Bete Midler is enormously underappreciated as a great comic actress. But then we don't really like great comediennes as a society. Perhaps we allow Lucille Ball the honours but we're very unforgiving of others. A damn shame.

Anyway, Newark airport has a relatively painless Immigration and Customs set-up. Bravo Newark Airport!

Arrived to cold drizzle. Today is cold drizzle. Dark, gray, wey.

Cashed my damn check, paid phone bill and rent. All's right with the world. Kinda-sorta. Back to the job search.

Actually ended up speaking up at the last moment in London about some serious issues - got the usual frustrating, "why didn't you tell me yada-yada. I had no idea yada-yada." We'll see. More needs to be brought up and discussed. It will be.

1 comment:

Broklynite said...

I had consitered seeing Saved, but heard it was mostly predicatable, not terribly funny, and not really worth paying to dssee in the theatre. I didn't see the new one, although I believe Kate has and said she thought it was relativly accurate excluiding the humor. I dunno. I finally saw the origional a few months ago, and while I liked it, in another sense I was deeply disturbed. Like Rosemary's Baby, the not-so-subtle insult towards women for being too dmaned stupid as to stay and not leave, it also wasn't a very nic eportrayel of men either.