Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Job Interviews and Broken Promises

What a surprise, the company I interviewed with that promised to contact me and let me know one way or the other, that asked would I be reachable by phone until 8 pm or as early as 7am so they could set up a final interview on basically no notice and would I please hold Friday's schedule open so they could call me in....didn't even bother to send me an email saying thanks but no thanks.

Perhaps they don't put a high value on professional courtesy. I could understand not responding to resumes they were not interested in after the first eyeball review. But this far into the evaluation process, after a preliminary phone screening, a formal phone interview, contacting professional references, an in-person interview, and telling me they would let me know, that does surprise me. I'm glad I had the professional courtesy to promptly send them a post-interview thank you letter. I maintained my professionalism even if they didn't. Cold comfort, but there it is.

Well, I'm back to actively sending out resumes and looking for job ops.
It's a real bitch that the job offers I've had have all been from the UK. Can't get a work permit there for love or money.

2 comments:

Broklynite said...

Sorry about the job- I had mean to call and find out. Why no work pemit tho?

Barb said...

To clarify, I'm applying for jobs in NYC and the UK. The US applications have had some inquiries and interviews but no offers. I have had offers from the UK applications but without a permit to work in the UK it's no dice. The way it works is that you must be a citizen of a country or have a work permit to legally work there.