Sunday, April 18, 2004

Just back in London from 6 days in oxford at the ACCU (CC++) Annual Spring Conference. First thing I do is check my email and find 5189 unread emails waiting for me. I sensibly did a search for all emails from my son Andrew and replied to them. Then I started slogging thru the rest of the mountain. Now, I tried to be clever about this and use the web based mail interface to dump the worst of the spam directly from the server. Somehow, in the process, I managed to simply delete it ALL! Yes, that's right, all 5186 emails vanished into the proverbial bit bucket. Dammit!

At least I did have a great time in Oxford and at the conference. Learned a lot, got a book on Python, made a lot of great business contacts, took an amusing few photos at the speakers' dinner including on potential Exhibit A photo.

I need to call Andrew tonight and make sure he has some cash. I wish I'd given him Alan's cell phone number so he could have phoned us while I was away. On the nice side of the scale, I did pick up some good books and nifty stuff for him.

I made some interesting contacts at the conference. Tomorrow Alan and I are going into central London to have lunch with a very nice chap from Microsoft. If he has time, we'll also show him some interesting bits of the city.

Alan did a presentation on How to Design Computer (MMPG) Games on the last day of the conference and it was quite a hit - filled the entire room, not a seat to spare. The supposed 45 min presenatin ran an hour and a half and then only broke up because Alan said we really ought to call a halt. I ran the visuals; a live projection and demonstration of Age of Adventure.

No comments: